3.0

12

3.0

Simon Stewart
Alright folks,

I just closed the last open issue on GH that's blocking milestone 3.0. I think we should wait until early next week, and then ship 3.0.0. Any complaints or reasons not to?

Simon

Re: 3.0

David Stark

No complaints, just congratulations. :)

On 05/10/16 19:04, Simon Stewart wrote:
Alright folks,

I just closed the last open issue on GH that's blocking milestone 3.0. I think we should wait until early next week, and then ship 3.0.0. Any complaints or reasons not to?

Simon

Re: 3.0

Alexei Barantsev
I'm against the release until we have 100% working green CI.

Alexei Barantsev, Software-Testing.Ru
mailto: [hidden email]
phone: +7 (916) 726-95-55
skype : barancev

Alright folks,

I just closed the last open issue on GH that's blocking milestone 3.0. I think we should wait until early next week, and then ship 3.0.0. Any complaints or reasons not to?

Simon

Re: 3.0

alko
Hi folks

I'm against the release until we have 100% working green CI.

^^^ as much as I would love to see what is going on in 3.0 I couldn't agree with this guy more. If it's red and it shouldn't be then fix it or remove it; let's eat our own dog food people! (Not that the Jenkins for Jenkins wasn't half red last time I checked).

Simon I unfortunately was on the last cut for the conference in London so I won't attend but will be in town to see both conference and non-conference related folks, maybe I will meet you then in person if you aren't too busy (I won't try to convince you about the merits of Maven again I promise ;) )

Tally-ho...

Alex

Alexei Barantsev, Software-Testing.Ru
mailto: <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="dqJf1vTAAQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">bara...@...
phone: +7 (916) 726-95-55
skype : barancev

2016-10-05 20:04 GMT+03:00 Simon Stewart <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="dqJf1vTAAQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">simon.m...@...>:

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 7:33 PM, Alexei Barantsev <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm against the release until we have 100% working green CI.

CI has been flaky as heck, and it's impossible to nail down all the problems. If you'd like to fix some builds and there are genuine problems, go for it. I could do with a hand.

Simon

Re: 3.0

Simon Stewart
We have a mix of bits and pieces. There are Jenkins builds, which are flaky because paths contain spaces in the names, but can be found at:

And there are also Travis builds:

Feel free to pitch in on anything :)

Simon

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 4:59 PM, Alex Kogon <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have no idea what kind of CI you have or what the issues are. I do have a bit of free time at the moment though; if you can point me in the right direction I can take a look?

On 6 October 2016 at 17:56, Simon Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 7:33 PM, Alexei Barantsev <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm against the release until we have 100% working green CI.

CI has been flaky as heck, and it's impossible to nail down all the problems. If you'd like to fix some builds and there are genuine problems, go for it. I could do with a hand.

Simon

Re: 3.0

Aaron Evans
I'll pitch in with helping CI.

Re: 3.0

Aaron Evans
Alko, if you take lead I'll help with tasks.  First step I guess us to see what's being done and if tests can pass locally.

Guess I need to learn about crazy fun or whatever

Re: 3.0

alko
Hi Aaron

I take a look this morning and see what I can find, will be in touch. I'm sure I will have questions quite soon.

Thanks

Alex

On 7 October 2016 at 02:04, Aaron Evans <[hidden email]> wrote:
Alko, if you take lead I'll help with tasks.  First step I guess us to see what's being done and if tests can pass locally.

Guess I need to learn about crazy fun or whatever

Re: 3.0

alko
Hi guys,

I'm just trying to understand what I see here...

First question--

I'm assuming these tests which failed in the last day (and haven't passed in 4 months) are where we should focus?

Inline images 1

and these are the builds:

Inline images 3

What's up with these jobs which haven't been run for months (or for one, never)? Should they just be removed?

Inline images 2

Inline images 1

Could we add a build pipeline view to Jenkins to better understand the flow?

Thanks

Alex

On 7 October 2016 at 09:34, Alex Kogon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Aaron

I take a look this morning and see what I can find, will be in touch. I'm sure I will have questions quite soon.

Thanks

Alex

On 7 October 2016 at 02:04, Aaron Evans <[hidden email]> wrote:
Alko, if you take lead I'll help with tasks.  First step I guess us to see what's being done and if tests can pass locally.

Guess I need to learn about crazy fun or whatever

Re: 3.0

alko
Hi Simon,

Not sure if the missing "pathlib" library is relevant?

Warning raised by BUCK file parser: Traceback (most recent call last):
Warning raised by BUCK file parser:   File "/jenkins/workspace/Firefox 45 Win7 Synthesized Java Tests/selenium-trunk/buck-out/tmp/buck_run.uw4bxU/buck6527850367397704311.py", line 16, in <module>
Warning raised by BUCK file parser:     from pathlib import Path, PureWindowsPath, PurePath
Warning raised by BUCK file parser: ImportError: No module named pathlib
Parse error for build file /jenkins/workspace/Firefox 45 Win7 Synthesized Java Tests/selenium-trunk/javascript/webdriver/BUCK: Parser exited unexpectedly

(from http://ci.seleniumhq.org:8080/job/Firefox_45_Win7_Java_Tests/lastSuccessfulBuild/consoleFull)

I do see the spaces in the path names, these could be escaped or put in quotes perhaps? Or maybe we should refactor it to not have spaces?

Thanks

Alex

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 4:59 PM, Alex Kogon <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="2Asd9k0HAgAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">alex...@...> wrote:

On 6 October 2016 at 17:56, Simon Stewart <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="2Asd9k0HAgAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">simon.m...@...> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 7:33 PM, Alexei Barantsev <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="2Asd9k0HAgAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">bara...@...> wrote:
I'm against the release until we have 100% working green CI.

CI has been flaky as heck, and it's impossible to nail down all the problems. If you'd like to fix some builds and there are genuine problems, go for it. I could do with a hand.

Simon

Re: 3.0

alko
Hi guys (and gals I hope),

Looks to me like this "Build All Java" http://ci.seleniumhq.org:8080/job/Build_All_Java/ is the root of the Jenkins flows. From the text at the top it assumes that all the binary object code it needs is already compiled (I'll assume for now that this is being handled).

This seems to trigger these projects:
Inline images 1
many of which seem to be disabled from the grey dots visible above, though the log of the build indicates only some of them are (and clicking on them shows that they are disabled but were run yesterday):

Triggering a new build of Firefox 38 Linux Javascript Tests
Triggering a new build of Small Tests
Triggering a new build of Firefox 38 Linux Synthesized Java Tests
Triggering a new build of Firefox 44 Win7 Synthesized Java Tests
Triggering a new build of Firefox 44 Win7 Javascript Tests
Triggering a new build of Firefox 45 Win7 Javascript Tests
Triggering a new build of Firefox 38 Win7 Synthesized Java Tests
Triggering a new build of build-atoms-chromedriver
Triggering a new build of Firefox 44 Linux Synthesized Java Tests
Triggering a new build of Firefox 44Linux Javascript Tests
Firefox Beta Win7 Synthesized Java Tests is disabled. Triggering skipped
Triggering a new build of Publish test web pages
Triggering a new build of Firefox 45 Linux WDBS Java Tests
Triggering a new build of Firefox 45 Linux Synthesized Java Tests
Triggering a new build of Firefox 38 MacOS Synthesized Java Tests
Triggering a new build of HtmlUnit Java Tests
Triggering a new build of Build_All_BUCK_Linux
Triggering a new build of Firefox 38 Linux WDBS Java Tests
Triggering a new build of Firefox 38 Win7 Javascript Tests
Triggering a new build of Firefox 45 Linux Javascript Tests
Firefox Beta Linux Javascript Tests is disabled. Triggering skipped
Firefox Beta Linux Synthesized Java Tests is disabled. Triggering skipped
Firefox Beta Win7 Javascript Tests is disabled. Triggering skipped
Triggering a new build of Firefox_45_Win7_Synthesized_Java_Tests
Triggering a new build of build-atoms-thirdparty-dependent

I wonder also if these should be run in any particular order; particularly the "Build_All_BUCK_Linux", "build-atoms-*" and "Publish test web pages" jobs may be required before the tests are executed to properly configure the environment (based solely upon their names)? I also found this message in the log which may be related:

Warning: you have no plugins providing access control for builds, so falling back to legacy behavior of permitting any downstream builds to be triggered

Looking at the log for the latest build (http://ci.seleniumhq.org:8080/job/Build_All_Java/6932/consoleFull) I see this which is generating a 404 response, not sure if that is in any way significant (or if this is a "feature"):

[workspace] $ /bin/sh -xe /tmp/hudson3659823603697034697.sh
+ echo Pinging Jari's dashboard
Pinging Jari's dashboard
+ curl -XPOST -d http://ci.seleniumhq.org:8080/job/Build_All_Java/6932/ http://dashboard.ci.seleniumhq.org/build
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed

  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
100   222  100   168  100    54    565    181 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   567
<center><h1>404 Not Found</h1></center>

I also see some jobs seem to be skipped, and there seem to be some classes which are being built multiple times, or namespace collisions (which could be a problem).

Continuing to dig (as much as I can as an anonymous user...)

Tnx

Alex

On 7 October 2016 at 11:19, alko <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

BTW it would be nice to be able to login and at least view the job configurations.

I assume these Jenkins jobs are being manually created/configured and we aren't using something like DotCI (https://www.cloudbees.com/blog/dotci-plugin-providing-new-way-build-jenkins-docker-and-github)?

On 7 October 2016 at 11:45, Alex Kogon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Looking at Build_All_BUCK_Linux (http://ci.seleniumhq.org:8080/job/Build_All_BUCK_Linux/615/console), I see that it is deleting its workspace and doing a clean "clone" of the git repo:

Deleting project workspace... done

Cloning the remote Git repository
Cloning repository https://github.com/SeleniumHQ/selenium.git

after the Build_All_Java (http://ci.seleniumhq.org:8080/job/Build_All_Java/6932/consoleFull) job has been run, which appears to not be deleting its workspace but just using Git to get the latest version:

Started by an SCM change
Building on master in workspace /mnt/jenkins/data/jobs/Build_All_Java/workspace
 > git rev-parse --is-inside-work-tree # timeout=10
Fetching changes from the remote Git repository
Fetching upstream changes from https://github.com/SeleniumHQ/selenium.git
 > git --version # timeout=10
 > git -c core.askpass=true fetch --tags --progress https://github.com/SeleniumHQ/selenium.git +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
 > git rev-parse origin/master^{commit} # timeout=10
Checking out Revision bf47492f6596872f214ded935802ce47c802dcde (origin/master)
 > git config core.sparsecheckout # timeout=10
 > git checkout -f bf47492f6596872f214ded935802ce47c802dcde
 > git rev-list 30ef76683d75f15c919e10fd4103468594b41a0c # timeout=10
 > git tag -a -f -m Jenkins Build #6932 jenkins-Build_All_Java-6932 # timeout=10
Cleaning workspace
 > git rev-parse --verify HEAD # timeout=10
Resetting working tree
 > git reset --hard # timeout=10
 > git clean -fdx # timeout=10

Not quite sure why the second job is doing a delete/clone when the first isn't, or why it isn't using the archived workspace of the first? Seems redundant and inefficient if not actually wrong...

On 7 October 2016 at 11:50, Alex Kogon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Getting past the Build_All_BUCK_Linux job, the missing pathlib module indeed seems to be a problem for all these jobs:

whose last run output consistently reads:

Warning raised by BUCK file parser:     import buck
Warning raised by BUCK file parser:   File "/jenkins/workspace/Firefox 38 Linux Javascript Tests/selenium-trunk/buck-out/tmp/buck_run.caOPP6/buck_python_program2213791347110169026/buck.py", line 9, in <module>
Warning raised by BUCK file parser:     from pathlib import Path, PureWindowsPath, PurePath
Warning raised by BUCK file parser: ImportError: No module named pathlib
BUILD FAILED: Parse error for build file /jenkins/workspace/Firefox 38 Linux Javascript Tests/selenium-trunk/java/client/test/org/openqa/selenium/javascript/BUCK: Parser exited unexpectedly
[-] BUILDING...FINISHED 2.9s
go aborted!
Buck build failed

This job seems to run but times out:
STILL RUNNING 135/135 JOBS 7050.1s 1 test targets
STILL RUNNING 135/135 JOBS 7065.1s 1 test targets
Build timed out (after 120 minutes). Marking the build as failed.

This job failed last night because of the missing module, but appears to have been manually run this morning but fails because the environment is not properly configured (btw I assume these time stamps are in Greenwich Mean Time or...?)

.
..
.
ERROR - Cannot read: /mnt/jenkins/data/jobs/Build_All_Java/workspace/selenium-trunk/third_party/js/wgxpath/unionExpr.js

ERROR - Cannot read: /mnt/jenkins/data/jobs/Build_All_Java/workspace/selenium-trunk/third_party/js/wgxpath/userAgent.js

ERROR - Cannot read: /mnt/jenkins/data/jobs/Build_All_Java/workspace/selenium-trunk/third_party/js/wgxpath/wgxpath.js

108 error(s), 0 warning(s)

[-] BUILDING...FINISHED 20.5s [100%]
go aborted!
Buck build failed

This one also failed with the missing module last night but is currently being run and seems to be getting somewhere:

These jobs appear to have not been run since May:

I will get in touch with Alexei who is running jobs now...

On 7 October 2016 at 12:03, Alex Kogon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

We have a mix of bits and pieces. There are Jenkins builds, which are flaky because paths contain spaces in the names, but can be found at:

And there are also Travis builds:

Feel free to pitch in on anything :)

Simon

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 4:59 PM, Alex Kogon <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have no idea what kind of CI you have or what the issues are. I do have a bit of free time at the moment though; if you can point me in the right direction I can take a look?

On 6 October 2016 at 17:56, Simon Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 7:33 PM, Alexei Barantsev <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm against the release until we have 100% working green CI.

CI has been flaky as heck, and it's impossible to nail down all the problems. If you'd like to fix some builds and there are genuine problems, go for it. I could do with a hand.

Thanks to a huge amount of effort by plenty of people, the travis builds are now all green. Hurrah!

Simon

Sent from my iPhone

On 7 Oct 2016, at 12:16, Simon Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

OK, I'm a bit of an old fashioned guy so I'm more Hudson/Jenkins oriented but assuming they are equivalent you don't need my help any more?

Looking forward to seeing what is new in 3.0, I missed the presentation you gave with my Israeli friends unfortunately was not free at the time.