Code of Conduct for Repos/IRC

David Burns
Hi All,

Today I had the unfortunate privilege of banning a Selenium User from Mozilla repos and suggesting my team block them on social media for continued harassment of my team.

Since we have  CoC for our conference I want to extend that to our repos/IRC. Unforunately I fear this person is going to come to Selenium and take out their frustration here. So, if we have to ban them here too, we should have something that says why we are banning them.

We could easily just copy the Rust one, which is really good, and apply it here.

Thoughts?

David

Re: Code of Conduct for Repos/IRC

Simon Stewart

I proud that we've not yet had a reason to have missed having one yet. As a project, I think we're pretty good at asking folks who are offending others to desist, but it's good to be clearer about what we do when there's unacceptable behaviour.

Can you please link to the Rust one? And do others think that there are other good examples for us to base ours from?

Simon

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 1:05 PM, David Burns <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

Today I had the unfortunate privilege of banning a Selenium User from Mozilla repos and suggesting my team block them on social media for continued harassment of my team.

Since we have  CoC for our conference I want to extend that to our repos/IRC. Unforunately I fear this person is going to come to Selenium and take out their frustration here. So, if we have to ban them here too, we should have something that says why we are banning them.

We could easily just copy the Rust one, which is really good, and apply it here.

Thoughts?

David

Re: Code of Conduct for Repos/IRC

David Burns
I thought that I had added it, sorry for not doing it.

Link is https://www.rust-lang.org/en-US/conduct.html

Its lightweight and is used as a inside Mozilla for our diversity initiatives as the CoC.

David

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 10:00 AM, Simon Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

[...]

じょいすじょん
It's too bad it took something negative to drive to this, but it's good.
Any new project these days should have this on the ground floor going in.
The Swift language project was quick to adopt a CoC, and honestly, it's not different than a license in terms of importance.
Good choice.

Link is <a href="https://www.rust-lang.org/en-US/conduct.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.rust-lang.org%2Fen-US%2Fconduct.html\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEEzcuuQ_q_6ht_ak00z01HNLI1rQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.rust-lang.org%2Fen-US%2Fconduct.html\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEEzcuuQ_q_6ht_ak00z01HNLI1rQ&#39;;return true;">https://www.rust-lang.org/en-US/conduct.html

Its lightweight and is used as a inside Mozilla for our diversity initiatives as the CoC.

David

David Burns
Email: <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="XZ5qKaQZAwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">david...@theautomatedtester.co.uk
URL: <a href="http://www.theautomatedtester.co.uk/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.theautomatedtester.co.uk%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFCIz809RKTMfrFtcXYFFMEVEBT4A&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.theautomatedtester.co.uk%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFCIz809RKTMfrFtcXYFFMEVEBT4A&#39;;return true;">http://www.theautomatedtester.co.uk/

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 10:00 AM, Simon Stewart <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="XZ5qKaQZAwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">simon.m...@...> wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 1:05 PM, David Burns <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="XZ5qKaQZAwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">david...@theautomatedtester.co.uk> wrote:
Hi All,

Today I had the unfortunate privilege of banning a Selenium User from Mozilla repos and suggesting my team block them on social media for continued harassment of my team.

Since we have  CoC for our conference I want to extend that to our repos/IRC. Unforunately I fear this person is going to come to Selenium and take out their frustration here. So, if we have to ban them here too, we should have something that says why we are banning them.

We could easily just copy the Rust one, which is really good, and apply it here.

Thoughts?

David

Re: Code of Conduct for Repos/IRC

Simon Stewart
I'm away from everything for a few days. Will have a look after the weekend. Thanks for the link!

Simon

Sent from my iPhone

On 26 Apr 2017, at 11:14, David Burns <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Alright. I've had a scan of some of the choices out there on which we could model our own CoC:

Things I feel are important:

* Short and clear
* Covers both email and IRC/Slack-style communication
* Indicates the intention behind the CoC
* Describes a pathway for enforcing the CoC (with the clear statement that this isn't the only way to enforce it)

The Django one appeals most to me, but I like the section in the Rust CoC about moderation.

Thoughts?

Simon