IDE 2.0

Daniel Davison
Hey peeps,

So a buddy of mine and I started a new version of Selenium IDE featuring the tech stack:

- TypeScript (JS)
- Pug (HTML)
- SASS? (CSS)

Why?  I'm already familiar with developing extensions using the Web Extensions API, as I already have several Chrome extensions published.

We've already got the Selenium IDE running on Firefox and Chrome, but we need to complete our MVP before we introduce it to the public.

   https://github.com/ddavison/selenium-ide

We have a big plans, and it's a fun project that him and I both were excited to undertake, since we could make it more modular, and using more recent technologies.

Not to mention, this IDE will be *CROSS BROWSER*.. working with Firefox, Chrome, AND Edge (since edge also uses the Web Extensions API)

The possibilities of this supplanting the current IDE since the FFv55 implementation are stellar, and I have very high hopes for it.

You may browse the source, but before we introduce it / show to the Selenium team, again - we'll need an MVP.

Just thought i'd keep you guys up to date.

All the best,
Dan.

Re: IDE 2.0

Doron Zavelevsky
Great news!

Timing is funny, I've also started working on a new Selenium IDE (same tech and stack except for pug).
I wanted to install the extension in dev mode but didn't see options file or build scripts? Is it ready for this yet?

Can you share your plans so I'd have an idea if it makes sense to join as contributor or move forward with my project?

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 9:15:21 AM UTC+3, Daniel Davison wrote:
[...]

Simon Stewart

Well, I guess it's time we opened this particular conversation :)

There are plenty of people who are interested in creating an IDE 2.0 --- my goal is to get as many people working together as possible to come up with something that's awesome.

IDE has a number of different audiences:

1/ Folks who use it, and it alone, for their testing
2/ People who use it to bootstrap their initial tests
3/ People putting together quick test cases for bug reports
4/ People who want to learn selenium webdriver but don't know where to start

No matter what we think of those audiences, those are the ones that I think we should continue to support. I think there are some technical criteria that we should aim to meet:

A/ Should run on more than just Firefox or Chrome
B/ Must support recording tests
C/ Should support playback of tests within the IDE
D/ Must export tests to use the webdriver API
E/ Should understand the old table-based tests

In order to meet some of these goals, it seems natural to use Web Extensions. We also have a wide group of users familiar with the current UI, so being relatively close to that would be a very useful feature, but it's not a hard requirement.

The people that are most interested are:

* Samit
* Doron
* Daniel (apparently :)
* David Burns

Is there anyone else?

Simon

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 7:15 AM, Daniel Davison <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

that *is* great news, Doron!

A couple things need to be done then, in order to continue:

- Josh and myself need to work on the Roadmap, and README in "our" project in order to brain dump our goals.
- Doron, we should take a look at your source, to see how it compares, and see which project we need to pursue.  I think it's safe to assume that the project you are working on "is" open source and not proprietary ;)
- After we've browsed through the sources, we should get broader buy-in from the team, to see how we should continue.

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 12:26 AM, Doron Zavelevsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sathish Shrini
Hey Dan,

It's great to see someone giving life to my favorite plugin.

All the best.

Cheers,
Sathish

On 10 Aug 2017 4:15 pm, "Daniel Davison" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

No, it uses id, name, css...and finally xpath if other options doesn't exist At least that's what I have seen so far and that's my understanding.

Best ways to identify any element on a page is in the sequence mentioned above and I believe that's how IDE was implemented.

On 11 Aug 2017 8:39 am, "Leo Laskin" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

sundru
Hey All,

Am really excited to hear Simon et al , let me know if theres anything can contribute to.

I started along a different path for an IDE as below screen shot shows. I would gladly contribute this code if it would be of any help (a good 6 months of work in spare time here).

some notes below screen cap, its in its infancy and would be great to have a discussion if theres some interest. It can preserve state and run threads for different actions.

Inline image 1

1. Uses Java FX
2. Uses a sqlite embedded DB for saving performing actions .
3. Drive thru webdriver

Would love to hear any feedback you guys have.

-Sundara

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 6:27 PM, Dave Hunt <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ziyu WANG
Hi, just to let people know i also started a similar project a while ago https://github.com/oddui/webdriver-extension

I've been focusing on playback of tests. It uses the nodejs webdriver client internally so it works with webdriver servers out of the box. I'm also trying to implement a command executor using the chrome debugging protocol https://github.com/oddui/webdriver-extension/pull/11 but it's a lot of work to do.

Thanks,
Ziyu

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 12:26 AM, Doron Zavelevsky <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="7HwZbwGmBwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">zavel...@...> wrote:
[...]

David
With all this talk of IDE 2.0, maybe this would be out of scope but some ideas mentioned here incorporated as part of IDE could be useful: https://autumnator.wordpress.com/2014/01/24/thoughts-on-a-selenium-interactive-exploratory-test-and-debug-tool/

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 4:49:28 PM UTC-7, Ziyu WANG wrote:
Hi, just to let people know i also started a similar project a while ago <a href="https://github.com/oddui/webdriver-extension" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Foddui%2Fwebdriver-extension\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGCQH_kGBYtwef2FsYZyHo_gKOHFw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Foddui%2Fwebdriver-extension\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGCQH_kGBYtwef2FsYZyHo_gKOHFw&#39;;return true;">https://github.com/oddui/webdriver-extension

I've been focusing on playback of tests. It uses the nodejs webdriver client internally so it works with webdriver servers out of the box. I'm also trying to implement a command executor using the chrome debugging protocol <a href="https://github.com/oddui/webdriver-extension/pull/11" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Foddui%2Fwebdriver-extension%2Fpull%2F11\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNH6iQaa4-tjCbq2O35cjzfHwirzIw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Foddui%2Fwebdriver-extension%2Fpull%2F11\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNH6iQaa4-tjCbq2O35cjzfHwirzIw&#39;;return true;">https://github.com/oddui/webdriver-extension/pull/11 but it's a lot of work to do.

[...]

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to selenium-developers+[hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit <a href="https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-developers/d65e177c-1495-4d3a-96f2-69af2aaffd40%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&amp;utm_source=footer" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-developers/d65e177c-1495-4d3a-96f2-69af2aaffd40%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium\x3demail\x26utm_source\x3dfooter&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-developers/d65e177c-1495-4d3a-96f2-69af2aaffd40%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium\x3demail\x26utm_source\x3dfooter&#39;;return true;">https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-developers/d65e177c-1495-4d3a-96f2-69af2aaffd40%40googlegroups.com.

Re: IDE 2.0

David Stark
Hi! So I'm kind of late to this party. Selenium Builder is in the same boat as IDE, of course. Once Firefox shuts down legacy addons altogether with version 57, Builder will stop working on up to date Firefox. It's pretty deeply entwined with the legacy addon system, so I doubt porting it to WebExtensions would be significantly easier than just starting from scratch.

Which means I'd be interested in assisting in a next-gen IDE, and also especially in providing a migration path for Builder users. So I'd add a technical criterion F/ -- should understand Selenium Builder JSON files. "Understand" here can mean "there's a separate tool that provides a decent format conversion."

- David

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 8:15:21 AM UTC+2, Daniel Davison wrote:
[...]

It looks like the code is starting to come together in the selenium-ide GH project. We meet on the #selenium IRC channel to discuss direction and plans (and so you can find it on Slack too), and this mailing list is also a good place to discuss ideas and approaches.

Thanks for joining in the fun :)

Simon