Quantcast

Load testing using selenium

R-24
Hi

Is it possible to perform load testing using selenium Test tool.

So we can create virtual users to test the load the server can handle.

Deeps

Re: Load testing using selenium

R-24
Use Selenium Remote Control for this purpose.

Re: Load testing using selenium

R-24
Can u plz explain it in more detail

Re: Load testing using selenium

R-24
Selenium Remote Control provides the ability to write in languages like C#, Java, etc,

http://www.openqa.org/selenium-rc/

where you can use those programming language libraries (API) to check about the start/end time of a test or perform memory checks easily. I remember I've wrote similar test for a Java application some years ago and I was just a beginner yet (so it's not a difficult task at all).

What I mean is something similar to the following (say we need to measure the load time of a page for example):

+-- create a time frame from the current time+
+-- call selenium.open("myPageURL")+
+-- check the time this page needs to be opened+

In JavaScript there is a DateTime object as well

http://www.w3schools.com/js/js_obj_date.asp
http://www.carr.org/~meripper/xhtml/java-02.htm

but I'm afraid there is no easy way to check the memory for instance. Suspect there is no way at all.

That's why I think Sel RC is the best way to go if you need something like that.

Re: Load testing using selenium

R-24
> {quote:title=deeps wrote:}{quote}
> Hi
>
> Is it possible to perform load testing using selenium Test tool.
>
> So we can create virtual users to test the load the server can handle.
>
> Deeps
Yes but with limitations. Selenium starts real browsers and does not work on http- but on GUI layer. So how many browser instances can you start on your machine?

Udo

Re: Load testing using selenium

R-24
Can anyone point me to a howto for this? I'm looking for the same thing essentially. I want to simulate hundreds of users accessing an ajax web app at the same time to see how it performs.

You say it can be done by opening a browser window for each user, but how about if they all need to be logged in / have their own cookie space?

Re: Load testing using selenium

R-24
How about load testing or several users doing the same task at the same
time?

Re: Load testing using selenium

Harsh_
yes i also want to know how to do a load testing using selenium RC.Please explain how to do that.
Nikolas Falco wrote
Can u plz explain it in more detail