Populating a dummy database using Selenium

Populating a dummy database using Selenium

GW-5
I am just carrying out some investigation into the potential pros and cons with regard to using this framework as a testing tool. I would appreciate some honest feedback. we currently use Fitnesse so if anyone has experience of both it would be great to have an overall comparison between both frameworks.

One of my main concerns is the ability to populate a dummy database, is this possible using selenium.

Re: Populating a dummy database using Selenium

Grig Gheorghiu-2
--- John O Donnell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am just carrying out some investigation into the potential pros and
> cons with regard to using this framework as a testing tool. I would
> appreciate some honest feedback. we currently use Fitnesse so if
> anyone has experience of both it would be great to have an overall
> comparison between both frameworks.
>
> One of my main concerns is the ability to populate a dummy database,
> is this possible using selenium.

I think Selenium and Fitnesse have very different goals. Selenium is
geared towards browser-based user interface testing, whereas Fitnesse
is geared toward functional/acceptance testing at the "business logic"
level and not at the GUI level.

I would recommend using Fitnesse for back-end processing such as
populating a test database, although in this particular case there's
nothing to prevent you from using Selenium and invoking a special URL
that kicks off a process which populates the database.

I think one needs both kinds of tests (functional/acceptance and UI) so
that one achieves a level of "holistic" testing. I wrote a little blurb
about this here:
<http://agiletesting.blogspot.com/2005/03/acceptance-tests-for-web-apps-gui.html>

Grig

Re: Populating a dummy database using Selenium

GW-5
Thanks Grig for your informative reply

Re: Populating a dummy database using Selenium

Ignaz Forster