Problem with clickAndWait and Firefox 1.5.0.2

Problem with clickAndWait and Firefox 1.5.0.2

Since I upgraded to Firefox 1.5.0.2, statements in the form of

clickAndWait  |  link=A link

do no longer work. The test execution simply stops there. Is that a bug in Selenium, or is it a bug in Firefox?

Thanks,
Daniel Hofstetter

Re: Problem with clickAndWait and Firefox 1.5.0.2

Darrell DeBoer
This is real problem, documented in http://jira.openqa.org/browse/SEL-185.

If you have carriage returns or other whitespace in your link text
(source, not visible) you may hit this problem.

On 24/04/06, Daniel Hofstetter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since I upgraded to Firefox 1.5.0.2, statements in the form of
>
> clickAndWait  |  link=A link
>
> do no longer work. The test execution simply stops there. Is that a bug in Selenium, or is it a bug in Firefox?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel Hofstetter

Re: Problem with clickAndWait and Firefox 1.5.0.2

GW-5
Thanks for your answer.

I don't think the problem is related to http://jira.openqa.org/browse/SEL-185, as the problem occurs only with FF 1.5.0.2 (it worked with FF 1.5), and most of my link texts are single words.

Re: Problem with clickAndWait and Firefox 1.5.0.2

Darrell DeBoer
G'day Daniel

This is interesting. Can you see if these work?

verifyElementPresent | link=A link
clickAndWait | linkId
clickAndWait | //xpath

If you could isolate the problem to a simple, repeatable test that
would be great. There were some changes to event generation in FF
1.5.0.2, so maybe this problem is due to some funky event handlers in
your html page.

Thanks for the feedback
ciao
Daz

On 24/04/06, Daniel Hofstetter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for your answer.
>
> I don't think the problem is related to http://jira.openqa.org/browse/SEL-185, as the problem occurs only with FF 1.5.0.2 (it worked with FF 1.5), and most of my link texts are single words.

Re: Problem with clickAndWait and Firefox 1.5.0.2

GW-5
Hi Daz

> This is interesting. Can you see if these work?
>
> verifyElementPresent | link=A link
> clickAndWait | linkId
> clickAndWait | //xpath

The verifyElementPresent does work, the clickAndWait's don't work.

Regards,
Daniel

Re: Problem with clickAndWait and Firefox 1.5.0.2

GW-5
It seems to be a problem with the Debian version of Firefox. Everything works fine if I install FF directly (without apt).

Re: Problem with clickAndWait and Firefox 1.5.0.2

Darrell DeBoer
You probably get a different version using apt. Under Ubuntu I get FF
1.0.8 by default, not the latest 1.5.x release. (Ubuntu is a Debian
derivative).

Can you check the FF version you get using apt, and the version you have now?

cheers
Daz

On 26/04/06, Daniel Hofstetter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It seems to be a problem with the Debian version of Firefox. Everything works fine if I install FF directly (without apt).

Re: Problem with clickAndWait and Firefox 1.5.0.2

GW-5
The version strings are almost identical. The first one is the version I get with apt.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.2) Gecko/Debian-1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.2-3 Firefox/1.5.0.2

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.2) Gecko/20060308 Firefox/1.5.0.2

Re: Problem with clickAndWait and Firefox 1.5.0.2

Darrell DeBoer
Hmmm - that's interesting.

Between firefox v0.8 and v1.0 there was a change that broke Selenium's
"click" handling. (Prior to 1.0, programmatically doing aLink.click()
would actually trigger the link navigation - for later versions we
parse the href and do it ourselves).

We tried to support both browsers, by detecting the Gecko version and
behaving differently for each (this worked for Mozilla as well, which
is also build on Gecko.

But on Debian, you're missing the Gecko version number (a date), so we
don't provide the correct behaviour. I think the solution to this
problem is to no longer support FFv0.8 and earlier - then we can treat
all versions of FF equally for click.

However it's important to know that we can't rely on the Gecko version
string for providing alternates for FireFox. I'm thinking we should
only support the latest released version of each browser for now -
trying to maintain backward-compatibility can lead to a maintenance
nightmare.

ciao
Daz

On 27/04/06, Daniel Hofstetter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The version strings are almost identical. The first one is the version I get with apt.
>
> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.2) Gecko/Debian-1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.2-3 Firefox/1.5.0.2
>
> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.2) Gecko/20060308 Firefox/1.5.0.2

Re: Problem with clickAndWait and Firefox 1.5.0.2

Darrell DeBoer
I've lodged this as http://jira.openqa.org/browse/SEL-221.

Re: Problem with clickAndWait and Firefox 1.5.0.2

Dan Fabulich
Darrell DeBoer wrote:

> However it's important to know that we can't rely on the Gecko version
> string for providing alternates for FireFox. I'm thinking we should
> only support the latest released version of each browser for now -
> trying to maintain backward-compatibility can lead to a maintenance
> nightmare.

While I'm perfectly fine dropping support for pre-1.0 versions of
anything, one of the main virtues of Selenium is that it can be used to
verify that one's JavaScript behaves properly in many browsers, including
many versions of the same browser.

Hence, I'd say we shouldn't feel compelled to support Firefox 1.0.0,
1.0.1, 1.0.2, etc. but we should feel compelled to support Firefox 1.0.x
where x is the latest release.

This may get us into a bit of trouble considering the scope of the
differences between 1.5.0.1 and 1.5.0.2, but those differences are exactly
why I'd want to use Selenium: to discover those differences in my
application.

-Dan

On 27/04/06, Dan Fabulich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Darrell DeBoer wrote:
>
> Hence, I'd say we shouldn't feel compelled to support Firefox 1.0.0,
> 1.0.1, 1.0.2, etc. but we should feel compelled to support Firefox 1.0.x
> where x is the latest release.

I agree - I just don't think we need to support a bug that was in
v1.0.7 and was fixed in v1.0.8. But the 1.0.latest we should support.
The same would apply for not supporting v1.5.0.1 when we adapt for
changes in 1.5.0.2.

> This may get us into a bit of trouble considering the scope of the
> differences between 1.5.0.1 and 1.5.0.2, but those differences are exactly
> why I'd want to use Selenium: to discover those differences in my
> application.

Yes. On that note - one of the major changes introduced in the 1.5
series (I'm not certain which point release) was that non-visible
newlines are now included in element.textContent. You can see this
demonstrated in TestTextWhitespace in the latest version of core.

I've found it very difficult to work out a way to remove these
newlines in Selenium, since they are indistinguishable from other
(visible) newlines, like <br/>. Should we be replacing all newlines
with " " (allowing false positives), or is there a better solution
that I can't think of?

ciao
Daz

Re: Problem with clickAndWait and Firefox 1.5.0.2 - fixed in 1.5.0.3

I also had a problem with clickAndWait commands when my browser auto-updated to 1.5.0.2, however I just got FF1.5.0.3 and tried the test suites again.

This time there was no stopping on the clickAndWaits.