Problems using dynamic paths in Selenium IDE

Problems using dynamic paths in Selenium IDE

dogbro
Hi! I use Selenium IDE for testing a bunch of common use cases on new releases of a web application. I have a number of scripts that I run which do things like creating and editing documents. Etc.

I have a problem with relative paths (or is it called dynamic paths) which this webapp uses a lot and makes testing almost impossible. Several use cases require that you navigate between documents using a treeview which utilizes relative paths which change from time to time. So when I run the script, Selenium IDE often can’t locate the elements it’s supposed to “click” to complete the use case.

How do I solve this? Surely, I’m not the only one with this problem. Is it possible to use a command that just searches for a certain word, and clicks at the element where it is written? Or is there a command that lets you automatically unfold the entire treeview?

If anyone could help me with this, I’d be very grateful.

I’m using Selenium IDE 1.8.1 with Firefox 14.0 running on Vista 64bit if that’s any help.