Re: Do you have your own test framework? What are it's capabilities? Share ideas/thoughts/experience/etc.

Re: Do you have your own test framework? What are it's capabilities? Share ideas/thoughts/experience/etc.

Preeti Kumari
Hey guys,
Can anyone provide me a sample test automation framework in selenium ruby. I am new to selenium ruby.I am not using maven by the way. so wud be great... if anybody provides.

On Thursday, May 5, 2011 at 12:28:14 AM UTC+5:30, Scal wrote:
Hi;
I am wondering who in the community (at least in the Google groups)
has build it's own test framework for Selenium (whatever version /
language)?
By framework, I mean to be able to dynamically populate either:
- test data
- commands

I have been testing for the past 3 years with a pretty simple test
approach, which was:
- define test cases
- code them (in java)
- implement them into a repository
- run them through a CIS (Bamboo, Hudson/Jenkins, ..)

I have now started a new job for almost a month and my requirements
were to be able to parametrize test case "templates".
The original idea was to have hard coded methods with a specific flow
and pass any data set to make it available for any site implementing
the same flow. This is kind of data driven testing.
The scope changed a bit and I ended up, after 3 weeks so far, to build
(still in java):
- a complete database structure that looks like this:
+ projects
+ --- test suite(s)
+ ------ test cases(s)
+ --------- action(s) with default parameter value
+ ------------ action parameter per browser (optional)
+ browsers
+ logs

With this design, I can create a project that has one or more test
suite which itself can contain one or more test case, which itself can
contain one or more action. Each action's (selenium command) arguments
(target and value) can be set per specific browser. So if a default
xpath can't be resolved with IE, I can set a specific one that it can
use.
Each project can be associated to a specific browser (ones available
in Selenium GRID), and test suites/cases and actions can be "attached"
to any project. A project can be a "clone" of another, with the only
difference to be the browser to put the project to test under.

I also implemented direct Selenium IDE (html format) import and export
directly into the DB to populate the test cases and actions database
tables. The export can be used to build the file and use it in
Selenium IDE again.

I'm currently implementing a screen-shot comparison feature (as a
simple extra action) too.

My next goals for this framework are:
- use Java's Robot class to be able to send mouse/keyboard commands.
This could be useful to interact with something else than just the DOM
that Se 1 (version I use) allows. For example, going into the
browser's menu (File, Edit, View, ..) items, click the "view image"
when doing a right click on one, etc.
- find a way to test flash/flex without having to modify the .swf file
for Selenium to be able to interact with.
- build a custom website (with a user/permission management module) to
manage the projects people would be assigned to. This would also
present the reports being build based on logs I do for all actions/
test case/suites of projects of the framework itself.

This is of course something really big to build but allows a total
control of the tests to perform on different systems (websites)
without coding anything anymore. Something you would more likely not
build for a "regular" website, but more for a company that has many
different websites being build/maintained/upgraded/etc. I'm think of
web agencies or big corporations.

So, what do you, as tester, do? What is your way of testing?
I'd love to hear what solution you either use or have build yourself
(or other developers/testers in the company you work for) and what you
think of such solution I'm implementing.

Thanks for reading and sharing :)
Cheers;

Re: Do you have your own test framework? What are it's capabilities? Share ideas/thoughts/experience/etc.

Krishnan Mahadevan

Preeti,

See if this helps : https://github.com/atinfo/awesome-test-automation/blob/master/ruby-test-automation.md

Thanks & Regards

Krishnan Mahadevan

Re: Do you have your own test framework? What are it's capabilities? Share ideas/thoughts/experience/etc.

Preeti Kumari
Thanks Krishnan, actually I am trying to inherit one test file with another. But that is now working at all. Showing some error like this "D:/rubyworkspace/dub/Appopen.rb:3:in `<main>': uninitialized constant Appopn (NameError)"

On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 12:40:08 PM UTC+5:30, Krishnan wrote:

Preeti,

See if this helps : <a href="https://github.com/atinfo/awesome-test-automation/blob/master/ruby-test-automation.md" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fatinfo%2Fawesome-test-automation%2Fblob%2Fmaster%2Fruby-test-automation.md\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFkYUWf_aTEfVin9xvpilnkw8iUCQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fatinfo%2Fawesome-test-automation%2Fblob%2Fmaster%2Fruby-test-automation.md\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFkYUWf_aTEfVin9xvpilnkw8iUCQ&#39;;return true;">https://github.com/atinfo/awesome-test-automation/blob/master/ruby-test-automation.md

Thanks & Regards

Krishnan Mahadevan

My Scribblings @ <a href="http://wakened-cognition.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwakened-cognition.blogspot.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHzOdYJCASIDF_28vQtkp9gnKAYSQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwakened-cognition.blogspot.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHzOdYJCASIDF_28vQtkp9gnKAYSQ&#39;;return true;">http://wakened-cognition.blogspot.com/

My Technical Scribbings @ <a href="http://rationaleemotions.wordpress.com/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Frationaleemotions.wordpress.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEcBOKyRn0lpL8LDbBuyAlKdwgXwQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Frationaleemotions.wordpress.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEcBOKyRn0lpL8LDbBuyAlKdwgXwQ&#39;;return true;">http://rationaleemotions.wordpress.com/

From: <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="Po4ShgeEAwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">seleniu...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Preeti Kumari <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="Po4ShgeEAwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">pku...@...>

ruby.png (239K) Download Attachment

Re: Do you have your own test framework? What are it's capabilities? Share ideas/thoughts/experience/etc.

Krishnan Mahadevan

Preeti,

Am not *Ruby literate*. But it looks like you need to add a require statement to include “LoginClass”.

You can refer to this post on StackOverFlow : https://stackoverflow.com/a/16514057

Thanks & Regards

Krishnan Mahadevan

Re: Do you have your own test framework? What are it's capabilities? Share ideas/thoughts/experience/etc.

Preeti Kumari
That one is also not working showing some error like "D:/rubyworkspace/dub/Appopen.rb:3:in `<main>': uninitialized constant Appopn (NameError)"

Thanks & Regards;

Preeti Kumari |Quality Analyst
----------------------------------
Astegic Infosoft-Delivering Technology Solutions

(M)+918233946726 | (V)+1 703.635.7717

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 1:28 PM, Krishnan Mahadevan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Preeti,

Am not *Ruby literate*. But it looks like you need to add a require statement to include “LoginClass”.

You can refer to this post on StackOverFlow : https://stackoverflow.com/a/16514057

Thanks & Regards

Krishnan Mahadevan

Re: Do you have your own test framework? What are it's capabilities? Share ideas/thoughts/experience/etc.

Krishnan Mahadevan

In that case, I would suggest that you share more details on what you have so far.

Maybe you can share

  • the source code,
  • how you are setting up your IDE
  • how you are setting up your execution environment
  • Ruby version that you are working.

And any additional details that you feel can help someone to debug your problem.

Thanks & Regards

Krishnan Mahadevan

Re: Do you have your own test framework? What are it's capabilities? Share ideas/thoughts/experience/etc.

Preeti Kumari
See , I have installed latest selenium and ruby plugin within eclipse. I have created a simple login.rb file having login code. Now I want to integrate  another testcase file (which is appopen.rb file) with this login.rb in which I am getting problem .

here is the login file code:

  require "selenium-webdriver"
  require "test/unit"
class LoginClass < Test::Unit::TestCase
     def setup
      #Selenium::WebDriver::Chrome.driver_path = File.join(File.absolute_path('', File.dirname("C://Projects/Selenuim/Drivers")),"Drivers","chromedriver.exe")
      @driver = Selenium::WebDriver.for :firefox
      @driver.get('*******.html')
      #@driver.manage.window.maximize
    end

    def teardown
    #  sleep 10
      #@driver.quit
    end

    def test_login
      @driver.find_element(:css, "#S3_input_email").send_keys "*****.com"
      @driver.find_element(:css, "#S3_input_password").send_keys "****"
      @driver.find_element(:css, "#input_login_button").click
     # sleep 0.3
     # assert(@driver.find_element(:id => "loggedin").text.include?("You Are Logged in"),"Assertion Failed")
     # @driver.find_element(:id, "logout").click
    end
  end

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 2:01 PM, Krishnan Mahadevan <[hidden email]> wrote:

In that case, I would suggest that you share more details on what you have so far.

Maybe you can share

  • the source code,
  • how you are setting up your IDE
  • how you are setting up your execution environment
  • Ruby version that you are working.

And any additional details that you feel can help someone to debug your problem.

Thanks & Regards

Krishnan Mahadevan

Re: Do you have your own test framework? What are it's capabilities? Share ideas/thoughts/experience/etc.

Krishnan Mahadevan

Preeti,

Here’s what I had. I got rid of the error you were facing but am seeing some other errors. (Since I am not sure how to work with Ruby, I am leaving it to you or to others to help debug)

List of files in my current directory

15:15 $ tree

.

├── appopn.rb

└── login.rb

0 directories, 2 files

login.rb looks like below

require "selenium-webdriver"

require "test/unit"

class LoginClass < Test::Unit::TestCase

  def setup

    @driver = Selenium::WebDriver.for :firefox

  end

  def test_mytest

    @driver.get('http://www.google.com')

    assert(@driver.current_url().include?("google"),"Assertion Failed")

  end

  def teardown

    @driver.quit

  end

end

appopn.rb looks like below (In your screenshot I noticed that class had a capital C)

require './login'

class Appopn < LoginClass

  def setup

    puts "Nothing to setup"

  end

end

Thanks & Regards

Krishnan Mahadevan

Re: Do you have your own test framework? What are it's capabilities? Share ideas/thoughts/experience/etc.

Preeti Kumari
I just renamed that and executed again. Still getting error
Inline image 1

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 3:21 PM, Krishnan Mahadevan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Preeti,

Here’s what I had. I got rid of the error you were facing but am seeing some other errors. (Since I am not sure how to work with Ruby, I am leaving it to you or to others to help debug)

List of files in my current directory

15:15 $ tree

.

├── appopn.rb

└── login.rb

0 directories, 2 files

login.rb looks like below

[...]

Please read my earlier response once again.

Your screenshot shows Class Appopen whereas you should have been using class Appopen (I think class is a keyword in ruby and it has to be in small case I think).

And if your statement require “Loginclass” does not work, then you might want to try using require “./Loginclass” (to indicate to ruby that it has to look in the current directory for the file Loginclass.rb).

Thanks & Regards

Krishnan Mahadevan

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Preeti Kumari <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 3:27 PM
To: <[hidden email]>

I just renamed that and executed again. Still getting error

nline image 1

Thanks & Regards;

Preeti Kumari |Quality Analyst

----------------------------------

Astegic Infosoft-Delivering Technology Solutions

(M)+918233946726 | (V)+1 703.635.7717

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 3:21 PM, Krishnan Mahadevan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Preeti,

Here’s what I had. I got rid of the error you were facing but am seeing some other errors. (Since I am not sure how to work with Ruby, I am leaving it to you or to others to help debug)

List of files in my current directory

15:15 $ tree

.

├── appopn.rb

└── login.rb

0 directories, 2 files

login.rb looks like below

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Preeti Kumari <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 3:27 PM
To: <[hidden email]>

I just renamed that and executed again. Still getting error

nline image 1

Thanks & Regards;

Preeti Kumari |Quality Analyst

----------------------------------

Astegic Infosoft-Delivering Technology Solutions

(M)+918233946726 | (V)+1 703.635.7717

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 3:21 PM, Krishnan Mahadevan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Preeti,

Here’s what I had. I got rid of the error you were facing but am seeing some other errors. (Since I am not sure how to work with Ruby, I am leaving it to you or to others to help debug)

List of files in my current directory

15:15 $ tree

.

├── appopn.rb