Re: Selenium as a part of Continuous Integration process

Re: Selenium as a part of Continuous Integration process

GW-5
Pavel,
Some exist, especially if you look at some of the Java implementations (see WebRenderer, for example, which wraps around Mozilla and has a "headless" mode). However, I might suggest you set up a distributed setup using the Driven modes and a simple process that your CI tests can communicate with, telling the other machine when to start up a new browser.

Re: Re: Selenium as a part of Continuous Integration process

Pavel Shevaev
On 2/11/06, Patrick Lightbody <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Some exist, especially if you look at some of the Java implementations (see WebRenderer,
> for example, which wraps around Mozilla and has a "headless" mode).

Thank you for the quick reply. I'll definitely have a closer look at
WebRenderer.

> However, I might
> suggest you set up a distributed setup using the Driven modes and a simple process that
> your CI tests can communicate with, telling the other machine when to start up a new
> browser.

I'm afraid it's not an option for me, the CI server is not located in
the local network and i'm not sure if it will be an easy task. Anyway
thanks again.

Re: Re: Selenium as a part of Continuous Integration process

Pavel Shevaev
> Some exist, especially if you look at some of the Java implementations (see WebRenderer,
> for example, which wraps around Mozilla and has a "headless" mode).

I had a closer look at WebRenderer and it turned out to be a
commercial product which is also capable running in a driven mode and
thereby can be used for acceptance testing alone without Selenium. I
wonder if there are any open source alternatives to WebRenderer and
the like....

Still the question remains - what is the most optimal way(if any) to
include Selenium tests into CI process in case the CI server is not
located in the local network and it's simply impossible to launch an
ordinary desktop browser? Any clues in this direction will be highly
appreciated, thanks :)

Re: Re: Selenium as a part of Continuous Integration process

Luke Closs
On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 11:13:34AM +0300, Pavel Shevaev wrote:

> > Some exist, especially if you look at some of the Java implementations (see WebRenderer,
> > for example, which wraps around Mozilla and has a "headless" mode).
>
> I had a closer look at WebRenderer and it turned out to be a
> commercial product which is also capable running in a driven mode and
> thereby can be used for acceptance testing alone without Selenium. I
> wonder if there are any open source alternatives to WebRenderer and
> the like....
>
> Still the question remains - what is the most optimal way(if any) to
> include Selenium tests into CI process in case the CI server is not
> located in the local network and it's simply impossible to launch an
> ordinary desktop browser? Any clues in this direction will be highly
> appreciated, thanks :)

I've been thinking a lot about this problem as well.  I think the
solution is to have a web service where you can request a browser be
launched and load a certain URL.

Your CI process would install/setup the AUT, then request a browser
be launched and load the /selenium URL.  This would work for both
table and driven modes.

The web service shouldn't be too difficult.  It would need the
following functions:

 /request?type=firefox&url=http://aut    -> launch a browser
   - returns a browser ID

 /cancel?id=123  -> cancels/closes the browser

I've created a diagram of how this would roughly fit into driven mode:

  http://awesnob.com/pics/perl-selenium-driven.png

Thoughts?

Luke

--
Luke Closs
PureMessage Developer

On 2/14/06, Luke Closs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>   http://awesnob.com/pics/perl-selenium-driven.png
>
> Thoughts?

Yep, it seems to be a workable solution for this problem. The only
thing which bothers me in this scheme is possible fragility of the
whole CI process since it will require some intercommunication between
servers. Ideally i would like the only one server involved but it
seems to be a dream.... Anyway i'll give it a try and will report back
about results.

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 11:21:50AM +0300, Pavel Shevaev wrote:

> On 2/14/06, Luke Closs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >   http://awesnob.com/pics/perl-selenium-driven.png
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Yep, it seems to be a workable solution for this problem. The only
> thing which bothers me in this scheme is possible fragility of the
> whole CI process since it will require some intercommunication between
> servers. Ideally i would like the only one server involved but it
> seems to be a dream.... Anyway i'll give it a try and will report back
> about results.

If you want to only use one server, then it needs to have everything -
the AUT, a server and a browser.  Theres no getting around it... :(

I'm interested in your results! :)

Luke

--
Luke Closs
PureMessage Developer
There is always time to juggle in the Sophos Zone.

Re: Re: Selenium as a part of Continuous Integration process

GW-5
every CI process i've seen generally connects to some remote source control repository. you're right that it could get more brittle the more varied the environment, but it's not unheard of...