Recording button click

Christian Thuv
Hi,

when recording button clicks, the recorder adds:

click //input[@type='submit' and @value='Save']

Is it possible to instead use the id as the element locator, like this?

click id=btnSave

The first version returns an error when running inside IE as Selenium
doesn't seem to find the control. At first I thought it was an encoding
issue since the @value field contained non-English letters. But when I tried
a different button without that issue, it still didn't work.

"link=" targets work, even when using non-English characters, so it might be
an xpath issue.

Regards,
Christian Thuv

Re: Recording button click

Shinya Kasatani
Hi Christian,

I agree.
I've made a change to Selenium IDE code to use ID when it is set.

Thanks,
Shinya

On 07/12/05, Christian Thuv <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> when recording button clicks, the recorder adds:
>
> click //input[@type='submit' and @value='Save']
>
> Is it possible to instead use the id as the element locator, like this?
>
> click id=btnSave
>
> The first version returns an error when running inside IE as Selenium
> doesn't seem to find the control. At first I thought it was an encoding
> issue since the @value field contained non-English letters. But when I tried
> a different button without that issue, it still didn't work.
>
> "link=" targets work, even when using non-English characters, so it might be
> an xpath issue.
>
> Regards,
> Christian Thuv

Re: Recording button click

Patrick Lightbody-3
Shinya,
Perhaps you can put up a notice on the seleniumrecorder page
indicating the project has moved to OpenQA and is called Selenium IDE?

On Dec 8, 2005, at 7:34 AM, Shinya Kasatani wrote:

> Hi Christian,
>
> I agree.
> I've made a change to Selenium IDE code to use ID when it is set.
>
> Thanks,
> Shinya
>
> On 07/12/05, Christian Thuv <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> when recording button clicks, the recorder adds:
>>
>> click //input[@type='submit' and @value='Save']
>>
>> Is it possible to instead use the id as the element locator, like
>> this?
>>
>> click id=btnSave
>>
>> The first version returns an error when running inside IE as Selenium
>> doesn't seem to find the control. At first I thought it was an
>> encoding
>> issue since the @value field contained non-English letters. But
>> when I tried
>> a different button without that issue, it still didn't work.
>>
>> "link=" targets work, even when using non-English characters, so
>> it might be
>> an xpath issue.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Christian Thuv

Re: Recording button click

Mick Weiss-2
Shinya, regarding posting a notice... I'd wait. First move the info over
(from the mozdev site to the new one) and then post a notice ;-)

btw: I'm having issues with seleniumrecorder and it not recording
anything (button clicks etc.) when I input text to a website (the site
uses SSL). I want to record a few clicks that I make when I insert info
into my bank's website (I know the implications behind storing
username/pw etc.). It just doesn't record anything.

I was about to post something about seleniumrecorder and websites that
use SSL, but I tried another site from a project that I'm working on
(https://www.clamwin.com) and it worked (the website uses a self-signed
cert). Any ideas on what it could be? Known bug in the recorder perhaps?

Oh ya, seleniumrecorder is great. I just love it. Thanks! :-)

- Mick

Patrick Lightbody wrote:

> Shinya,
> Perhaps you can put up a notice on the seleniumrecorder page
> indicating the project has moved to OpenQA and is called Selenium IDE?
>
> On Dec 8, 2005, at 7:34 AM, Shinya Kasatani wrote:
>
>> Hi Christian,
>>
>> I agree.
>> I've made a change to Selenium IDE code to use ID when it is set.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shinya
>>
>> On 07/12/05, Christian Thuv <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> when recording button clicks, the recorder adds:
>>>
>>> click //input[@type='submit' and @value='Save']
>>>
>>> Is it possible to instead use the id as the element locator, like
>>> this?
>>>
>>> click id=btnSave
>>>
>>> The first version returns an error when running inside IE as Selenium
>>> doesn't seem to find the control. At first I thought it was an
>>> encoding
>>> issue since the @value field contained non-English letters. But
>>> when I tried
>>> a different button without that issue, it still didn't work.
>>>
>>> "link=" targets work, even when using non-English characters, so  it
>>> might be
>>> an xpath issue.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Christian Thuv

Re: Recording button click

Shinya Kasatani
Patrick,

Yes I will, but I'd rather put an announcement when Selenium IDE site
is set up, as Mick suggested.

Thanks,
Shinya

On 10/12/05, Patrick Lightbody <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Shinya,
> Perhaps you can put up a notice on the seleniumrecorder page
> indicating the project has moved to OpenQA and is called Selenium IDE?
>
> On Dec 8, 2005, at 7:34 AM, Shinya Kasatani wrote:
>
> > Hi Christian,
> >
> > I agree.
> > I've made a change to Selenium IDE code to use ID when it is set.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Shinya
> >
> > On 07/12/05, Christian Thuv <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> when recording button clicks, the recorder adds:
> >>
> >> click //input[@type='submit' and @value='Save']
> >>
> >> Is it possible to instead use the id as the element locator, like
> >> this?
> >>
> >> click id=btnSave
> >>
> >> The first version returns an error when running inside IE as Selenium
> >> doesn't seem to find the control. At first I thought it was an
> >> encoding
> >> issue since the @value field contained non-English letters. But
> >> when I tried
> >> a different button without that issue, it still didn't work.
> >>
> >> "link=" targets work, even when using non-English characters, so
> >> it might be
> >> an xpath issue.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Christian Thuv

Re: Recording button click

Shinya Kasatani
Hi Mick,

Thanks for the report.
I'm not sure why it doesn't record anything on your site.
Are there any errors if you open JavaScript Console window?

Shinya

On 10/12/05, Mick Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Shinya, regarding posting a notice... I'd wait. First move the info over
> (from the mozdev site to the new one) and then post a notice ;-)
>
> btw: I'm having issues with seleniumrecorder and it not recording
> anything (button clicks etc.) when I input text to a website (the site
> uses SSL). I want to record a few clicks that I make when I insert info
> into my bank's website (I know the implications behind storing
> username/pw etc.). It just doesn't record anything.
>
> I was about to post something about seleniumrecorder and websites that
> use SSL, but I tried another site from a project that I'm working on
> (https://www.clamwin.com) and it worked (the website uses a self-signed
> cert). Any ideas on what it could be? Known bug in the recorder perhaps?
>
> Oh ya, seleniumrecorder is great. I just love it. Thanks! :-)
>
> - Mick
>

> Patrick Lightbody wrote:
>
> > Shinya,
> > Perhaps you can put up a notice on the seleniumrecorder page
> > indicating the project has moved to OpenQA and is called Selenium IDE?
> >
> > On Dec 8, 2005, at 7:34 AM, Shinya Kasatani wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Christian,
> >>
> >> I agree.
> >> I've made a change to Selenium IDE code to use ID when it is set.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Shinya

Re: Recording button click

Patrick Lightbody-3
Sure thing. All you need to do is update the website in selenium-ide/
trunk/website and within 5 minutes the changes will be reflected
online. You can put in JSPs if you want, but I'm sure HTML is good
enough. I think we can announce at any time once the website is
updated. Note, there is a meta.xml file that controls the site
navigation elements. I'll document it some more soon, but just know
that if you change it it won't update for up to two hours.

Patrick

On Dec 9, 2005, at 11:27 PM, Shinya Kasatani wrote:

> Patrick,
>
> Yes I will, but I'd rather put an announcement when Selenium IDE site
> is set up, as Mick suggested.
>
> Thanks,
> Shinya
>
> On 10/12/05, Patrick Lightbody <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Shinya,
>> Perhaps you can put up a notice on the seleniumrecorder page
>> indicating the project has moved to OpenQA and is called Selenium
>> IDE?
>>
>> On Dec 8, 2005, at 7:34 AM, Shinya Kasatani wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Christian,
>>>
>>> I agree.
>>> I've made a change to Selenium IDE code to use ID when it is set.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Shinya

Re: Recording button click

Mick Weiss-2
Shinya,

Do you need help migrating the info over? I ask since you timer is best
spent on development rather than moving some files over (php, jsp,
html...) :-)

- Mick

Patrick Lightbody wrote:

> Sure thing. All you need to do is update the website in selenium-ide/
> trunk/website and within 5 minutes the changes will be reflected
> online. You can put in JSPs if you want, but I'm sure HTML is good
> enough. I think we can announce at any time once the website is
> updated. Note, there is a meta.xml file that controls the site
> navigation elements. I'll document it some more soon, but just know
> that if you change it it won't update for up to two hours.
>
> Patrick
>
> On Dec 9, 2005, at 11:27 PM, Shinya Kasatani wrote:
>
>> Patrick,
>>
>> Yes I will, but I'd rather put an announcement when Selenium IDE site
>> is set up, as Mick suggested.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shinya
>>
>> On 10/12/05, Patrick Lightbody <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Shinya,
>>> Perhaps you can put up a notice on the seleniumrecorder page
>>> indicating the project has moved to OpenQA and is called Selenium  IDE?

Re: Recording button click

Shinya Kasatani
Thanks Patrick,

I've posted a quick note on the Selenium IDE site.
I'll put some more information when we release a first version of Selenium IDE.

I'd like to start using forums/JIRA/wiki in OpenQA from now, but
Selenium IDE is not yet listed in JIRA (it appears when I log in). Can
you make it open?

Shinya

On 12/12/05, Patrick Lightbody <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sure thing. All you need to do is update the website in selenium-ide/
> trunk/website and within 5 minutes the changes will be reflected
> online. You can put in JSPs if you want, but I'm sure HTML is good
> enough. I think we can announce at any time once the website is
> updated. Note, there is a meta.xml file that controls the site
> navigation elements. I'll document it some more soon, but just know
> that if you change it it won't update for up to two hours.
>
> Patrick
>
> On Dec 9, 2005, at 11:27 PM, Shinya Kasatani wrote:
>
> > Patrick,
> >
> > Yes I will, but I'd rather put an announcement when Selenium IDE site
> > is set up, as Mick suggested.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Shinya
> >
> > On 10/12/05, Patrick Lightbody <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Shinya,
> >> Perhaps you can put up a notice on the seleniumrecorder page
> >> indicating the project has moved to OpenQA and is called Selenium
> >> IDE?

Re: Recording button click

Patrick Lightbody-3
Done.

On 12/12/05, Shinya Kasatani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Patrick,
>
> I've posted a quick note on the Selenium IDE site.
> I'll put some more information when we release a first version of Selenium IDE.
>
> I'd like to start using forums/JIRA/wiki in OpenQA from now, but
> Selenium IDE is not yet listed in JIRA (it appears when I log in). Can
> you make it open?
>
> Shinya
>
> On 12/12/05, Patrick Lightbody <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Sure thing. All you need to do is update the website in selenium-ide/
> > trunk/website and within 5 minutes the changes will be reflected
> > online. You can put in JSPs if you want, but I'm sure HTML is good
> > enough. I think we can announce at any time once the website is
> > updated. Note, there is a meta.xml file that controls the site
> > navigation elements. I'll document it some more soon, but just know
> > that if you change it it won't update for up to two hours.
> >
> > Patrick
> >
> > On Dec 9, 2005, at 11:27 PM, Shinya Kasatani wrote:
> >
> > > Patrick,
> > >
> > > Yes I will, but I'd rather put an announcement when Selenium IDE site
> > > is set up, as Mick suggested.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Shinya

Re: Recording button click

Patrick Lightbody-3
I believe this is all fixed now. Let me know if you need anything else.

Patrick

On Dec 12, 2005, at 2:09 AM, Shinya Kasatani wrote:

> Thanks Patrick,
>
> I've posted a quick note on the Selenium IDE site.
> I'll put some more information when we release a first version of
> Selenium IDE.
>
> I'd like to start using forums/JIRA/wiki in OpenQA from now, but
> Selenium IDE is not yet listed in JIRA (it appears when I log in). Can
> you make it open?
>
> Shinya
>
> On 12/12/05, Patrick Lightbody <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sure thing. All you need to do is update the website in selenium-ide/
>> trunk/website and within 5 minutes the changes will be reflected
>> online. You can put in JSPs if you want, but I'm sure HTML is good
>> enough. I think we can announce at any time once the website is
>> updated. Note, there is a meta.xml file that controls the site
>> navigation elements. I'll document it some more soon, but just know
>> that if you change it it won't update for up to two hours.
>>
>> Patrick
>>
>> On Dec 9, 2005, at 11:27 PM, Shinya Kasatani wrote:
>>
>>> Patrick,
>>>
>>> Yes I will, but I'd rather put an announcement when Selenium IDE
>>> site
>>> is set up, as Mick suggested.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Shinya

Re: Recording button click

Shinya Kasatani
Thanks Patrick.

Now, I'd like everyone to use the forums and JIRA in OpenQA.

Shinya