Selenium dependency conflicts

Mark Gibson
I've got a test suite for an Atlassian plugin, using Selenium + Arquillian Drone & Graphene. I'm attempting to update to the latest Selenium (3.4.0), but finding a conflict between the version of guava in Selenium (21.0) and the version required for the Atlassian app (18.0) - which I have no control over. Maven doesn't cope well with these conflicts even though they are in different scopes (ie. test & provided).

Has anyone had a similar conflict and found a way around?

I'm considering creating a shaded version of Selenium, with a relocated guava, just wondered if anyone else has already tried this, or whether the Selenium project would consider shading third-party dependencies within Selenium to avoid conflicts?

Personally I feel that a test framework such as Selenium should not be forcing any transitive dependencies on a project, and should hide such implementation details (eg. through the use of shading).

Re: Selenium dependency conflicts

Krishnan Mahadevan

Mark,

The easiest way would be to add an explicit dependency to Guava version 21.0 library, maybe as a first entry in your pom file’s <dependencies> section and see if that helps. If that doesn’t then you might want to share your pom file, to show us what you have.

I don’t think Selenium is forcing any transitive dependency here. Since its using the APIs that are part of the new guava libraries, it would need those versions (much similar to any project requiring other libraries for functionalities rather than trying to re-invent the wheel again).

Thanks & Regards

Krishnan Mahadevan