TEXT FIELD VALIDATION

Bavani sri
Hai All,

Can someone please explain about how to validate text field for maximum and minimum words and characters?

Re: TEXT FIELD VALIDATION

Joe Ward
Doesn’t sound like a very good candidate for a Selenium test. You could always set the input, get the input back, count the characters? Or set the input and look for some kind of error.

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 05:35, Bavani sri <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hai All,

Can someone please explain about how to validate text field for maximum and minimum words and characters?

Re: TEXT FIELD VALIDATION

Sai Krishna Pulivarthi
I agree with you. If you wanna criticise the new learners, just remove yourself from the mailing list. If you know share it, else you can simply ignore.. just a suggestion to everyone.

If possible try to be positive and shed some light on the newbies.

Coming to your question: there is no definite way to validate the limitations.. because it depends on why type of data type your DEVs has used when defining the text box in Data base.. better to have your BA intervened and set a certain limit when developing and then you are test based on the limitations we have in place.

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 12:59, Bavani sri <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'am new to selenium automation and i need clarification not your criticize. We are here to learn together. Thank you :)

On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 3:09:10 PM UTC+8, That Guy wrote:
Doesn’t sound like a very good candidate for a Selenium test. You could always set the input, get the input back, count the characters? Or set the input and look for some kind of error.

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 05:35, Bavani sri <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hai All,

Can someone please explain about how to validate text field for maximum and minimum words and characters?

Sai

Re: TEXT FIELD VALIDATION

Joe Ward
I think you’ve mistaken just providing an answer in the form of a snippet of code, which is popular in this group but ultimately not that productive, with actually promoting people to think about how a tool should be used and signposting how to use the tool to get the answer you want.

That being said thanks for your unsolicited advise, rest assured I will ignore it.

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 08:36, Sai Krishna Pulivarthi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

If we want to split hairs about what a “useful” answer is I don’t think yours is all that great either. What does the input type have to do with character limits?

getElement(“someInput”).getAttribute(“maxlength”) will tell me what the maxlength is of a number input, a text input, a password input, basically any input that has maxlength defined. It’s also a bit odd to tell somebody to refer to a BA when you have no idea whether or not they are asking from a business perspective or just as a hobbyist trying out selenium.

In fact that probably answers the OPs question. Get the element and make some kind of assertion against the maxlength attribute, which will be a number.

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 08:43, Sai Krishna Pulivarthi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

If you are pointing fingers, I never claimed I was a pro Selenium user, I never worked on a Selenium , I just gave my 2 cents as a fellow QA user. All these discussions would have never existed if you knew the answer before hand or you would have answered the same in the very first reply..

End of the it all boils down to how to react to things.. that guy who asked the being new here would not expect a reply like that.

You need to be in his shoes if you ever need to understand how he would have felt. Anyways end of discussion and thanks for the answer.. :)

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 13:21, Joe Ward <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I am speaking “from somebody’s shoes”, if somebody taught you to hammer a nail using a spanner eventually you’d resent them for teaching you that wouldn’t you? Use the right tool at the right time.

Anyway OP has his answer now and we all learned something valuable.

Kind regards, have a nice day.

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 08:56, Sai Krishna Pulivarthi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

riponalwasim
Hi Bavani sri,
As I have understood, you have a text field which has Minimum and Maximum characters to input. Say minimum chars is 6 and max chars is 32. You need to validate Boundary value. You can do it using Assertion. If you use Java with Selenium you can use TestNG or JUnit test framework which can help you for Assertion.
for checking Minimum chars:
driver.findElement(By.id("<IDOfTextFiled>")).sendKeys("123456");
String actualValue = driver.findElement(By.id("<IDOfTextFiled>")).getAttribute("value");
int actualNumberOfChars = actualValue.length();
int expectedNumberOfChars = 6;
assertEquals(actualNumberOfChars, expectedNumberOfChars);

In similar way, you can validate max no. of chars.

If the no. of chars are less than Min chars --> check the validation message
  If the no. of chars are more than Max chars --> check the validation message

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 10:35 AM Bavani sri <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hai All,

Can someone please explain about how to validate text field for maximum and minimum words and characters?

Re: TEXT FIELD VALIDATION

SuperKevy
Everyone has shouted out while missing the point.
I'm guessing you would expect any input that has boundaries to throw a (error) message to the screen which is what you can check for existence when you exceed the boundaries.
If the inputs don't error check for what it wants get a new requirement in place that defines the boundary .
Manually check to see what messages appear on bad data submits, then code it up.

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 11:35:42 PM UTC-5, Bavani sri wrote:
Hai All,

Can someone please explain about how to validate text field for maximum and minimum words and characters?

Re: TEXT FIELD VALIDATION

SuperKevy
Sorry "that guy",   lost that comment in the flood of words and responses.
We both should have said "what does the user see or experience when the boundaries are exceed".
i.e. Selenium (webdriver) is meant to replicate a user experience as close as possible.
 .

On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 at 08:29, Bavani sri <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="DhMDXoEKAgAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">bavaa...@...> wrote: