Update to Selenium 3 broke Firefox and IE tests

Update to Selenium 3 broke Firefox and IE tests

Christian S.
I use Karma and Protractor tests running against Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer.

Today, I updated from Selenium 2.53 to 3.11 - and now only Chrome is stil working, while Firefox and Internet Explorer fail.
This is what happens:

Firefox
- Version 59, Geckodriver 0.20
- Selenium node seems to behave normal. No errors there
- Selenium hub says: "WARN:osjs.HttpChannel:qtp32414089-14: /wd/hub/session java.io.IOException: org.openqa.common.exception.GridException: Cannot extract a capabilities from the request: "
- A Firefox window is opened, but nothing happens in it. Except for a roboter icon next to the address bar and the address bar containing orang stripes. I've never seen this before.
- Karma Error: The environment you requested was unavailable undefined.

Internet Explorer:
- Version 11, Internet Explorer Driver Server 3.11.1 32-bit
- Rest is same as Firefox, except for the robot icon and orange address bar. Instead I see "This is the initial start page of the WebDriver server"

I tried to downgrade to version 3.8 as was adviced somewhere. To no avail.
I have no idea anymore what the problem might be. Any hints on what to look are appreciated!

Update to Selenium 3 broke Firefox and IE tests

Jim Evans
This sounds an awful lot like the toolset you’re using doesn’t understand the W3C WebDriver Specification version of the protocol used to communicate between Selenium’s language bindings and the browser drivers (IEDriverServer.exe, geckodriver.exe, etc.). I’ve never used Karma, and I don’t have a ton of experience with Protractor, but you should check to make sure that the latest versions of those frameworks support the spec version of the protocol.