Upgrade of JRuby

p0deje
Hey folks,

As you might know, the current JRuby used in Selenium is 6 years old:

$ cat third_party/jruby/VERSION
JRuby: JRuby: jruby 1.6.0.dev @ 2011-01-04 e1fe932

I'm sure it served well, but unfortunately, it doesn't work with Java 9. This forced us to try and upgrade it. Long story short, a fresh new JRuby has landed into master today:

$ cat third_party/jruby/VERSION
jruby 9.1.14.0 (2.3.3) 2017-11-08 2176f24 Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 25.152-b16 on 1.8.0_152-b16 +jit [darwin-x86_64]

According to CI and my testing, it works both on JDK 8 and JDK 9. The latter prints some warnings which should be fixed with additional flags, but the most important things is that committers can upgrade to JDK 9!

Also, since upgrading JRuby turned out to be a long trial-and-error path, I've added a new CrazyFun task that should do the trick in future:

$ ./go //third_party/jruby:jruby_package

I've tested the main tasks on macOS, Linux and Windows 10, so I'm mostly confident that "it just works". However, I couldn't test Visual Studio tasks (since I have no idea what to do with them) and I also had to upgrade albacore gem to version 1.0.0 which is used there. If somebody can try these tasks out or let me know how to do that, I'll appreciate that.

Simon once told me to not to be afraid to land to master, so I did and apologize if this change ruins anyone workflow - we'll revert in that case.

Re: Upgrade of JRuby

Lucas Tierney
Awesome, great work!

According to CI and my testing, it works both on JDK 8 and JDK 9. The latter prints some warnings which should be fixed with <a href="https://github.com/jruby/jruby/issues/4834#issuecomment-343371742" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fjruby%2Fjruby%2Fissues%2F4834%23issuecomment-343371742\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGFVp-8aBhIm94ym7su8OWuWO6SnQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fjruby%2Fjruby%2Fissues%2F4834%23issuecomment-343371742\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGFVp-8aBhIm94ym7su8OWuWO6SnQ&#39;;return true;">additional flags, but the most important things is that committers can upgrade to JDK 9!