Windows Terminal Server / VMware Horizon View (Linked Clones) Pools

Windows Terminal Server / VMware Horizon View (Linked Clones) Pools

Tina Kane
Can anyone tell me the Selenium Standalone Server and Internet Explorer Driver Server will work in a Windows Terminal Services environment, or a VMware Horizon View Pool environment?  Do the tools need to be used locally or can a user RDP to a virtual machine to run them?

I see some configuration info on running it on client Operating Systems like Windows 7, but wasn't sure if it was qualified or supported in a multi-session user environment, whether the user needed local Admin rights to run anything after the initial configuration, or whether this could even be run in some container app.

Thank you,
Tina

Re: Windows Terminal Server / VMware Horizon View (Linked Clones) Pools

David
Just the standalone server (for basic RemoteWebDriver mode) and IE driver or Selenium grid deployment?

I believe things should work just fine for multi-session. The only things to be aware of are:
  • session must be active (RDP session running and not disconnected OR local desktop session (of server or virtual machine) running and not locked)
  • never switch out of that session being used with Selenium, this only applies to non-server Windows OS like Windows 7, since you can only really run one active session at a time with the rest paused. But server ones allow concurrent multi-sessions to be active.
  • the standalone server JAR is running in the session being used, have it auto-start on login if that helps things.
  • the user account used is able to run the standalone server JAR opening the standard (port 4444 was it?) or custom port for Selenium. I don't think it requires admin access, just that the server isn't configured for secure firewall lockdown of ports.
As for container app support, I don't think Selenium is currently supported on Windows-based (docker) containers yet.