chrome .jar file javascript versus c:\Selenium\ javascript

chrome .jar file javascript versus c:\Selenium\ javascript

Eleo-3
Hi All
I'm not super familliar with .jar files or Chrome Applications so here goes:

SeleniumIDE uses the following files which are located within it's .Jar file
selenium-api.js
selenium-browserbot.js
selenium-commandhandlers.js
selenium-domviewer.js
selenium-executionloop.js
selenium-fitrunner.js
selenium-logging.js
selenium-tableparser.js
user-extensions.js
xmlextras.js
xpath.js

and the standard selenium uses the same files but located in another location:
c:\Selenium on my machine

I am using the IDE to create the tests but i am playing back using HTA and using the raw files (unzipped in c:\Selenium).

We have had to make a couple of modifications to the core of Selenium (not the user-extensions.js) to fix some issues (like being able to pass variable values between tests within a suite etc.)

My question is this;  every time there is a fix to core code, is it necessary to un-Jar and re-Jar the seleniumIDE in order to pick up the change in both places? or is it possible to run a chrome application from un-jar-ed files (the same files) and only make our modifications in a single location?

Can i Un-Jar the SeleniumIDE and tell it to point to c:\Selenium to get it's info?

sorry i just want to avoid doing code merges and managing multiple users who might have an out of date file in one place and not the other.

Re: chrome .jar file javascript versus c:\Selenium\ javascript

Eleo-3
You can run unzipped version of Selenium IDE if you follow the "Debugging the extension" section in this page:

http://wiki.openqa.org/display/SIDE/Building+Selenium+IDE

However, the Selenium code has to be under the Selenium IDE directory, so you cannot use Selenium in C:\Selenium. If you have many users who use the modified version of Selenium, it would be easier to build the .xpi file and distribute it.

Re: chrome .jar file javascript versus c:\Selenium\ javascript

Eleo-3
Another approach is to put all your changes in user-extensions.js.  It runs after everything else is loaded, so you can "redefine" any selenium functions.  Set the options in your ide to point to the extensions and the id will pick them up as well.  There are probably some things this won't work for, but in general it should work.  And it makes migration to the next release a bit easier as well.

Raj Singh
SAS Institute, Inc.