little improvment

brunovern.a (Bugzilla)

Hello,
I suggest to add this (in bold) because Selenium issue an error when it gets an empty command :

TestCase.prototype.getSourceForCommand = function(commandObj, options) {
    if (commandObj.type == 'command') {
        if (commandObj.command=='')  return '';
    } else if (commandObj.type == 'comment') {
        if (commandObj.comment=='' )  return '';
    return text;
}

I have been working on TestGen4web, but your work is very impressiv ! and with Selenium it is immediately usable.

Did you follow the Selenium mailing list ? 2 things are annoying me : frame based runner and relying on more than a Firefox extensions (Web server, runner, driver ...)  The current state is OK for me, only the frameset is annoying.

I would be happy to contribute to your work, feel free to contact me.
Bruno

Re: little improvment

Shinya Kasatani
Hi Bruno,

Thanks for the suggestion.
However I'd like to be careful to make a fix that truncates command
automatically, since it breaks symmetry of getSource() and setSource()
functions - if you call getSource() then setSource(), the empty
command would be truncated without noticing.

To avoid seeing Selenium error when playing, I think it might be
useful to show errors in the Editor view so that the user can notice
it - just like syntax error checking in IDEs like Eclipse.

> Did you follow the Selenium mailing list ? 2 things are annoying me : frame
> based runner and relying on more than a Firefox extensions (Web server,
> runner, driver ...)  The current state is OK for me, only the frameset is
> annoying.

I'm reading most of the messages in the Selenium mailing lists, but
why are you annoyed with framesets?
I'm planning to enable running tests in the Selenium IDE (currently
Selenium Recorder) window and that will eliminate frames. Does that
make sense?

Regards,
Shinya

On 29/11/05, Bruno Vernay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> I suggest to add this (in bold) because Selenium issue an error when it gets
> an empty command :
>
> TestCase.prototype.getSourceForCommand =
> function(commandObj, options) {
>     if (commandObj.type == 'command') {
>         if (commandObj.command=='')  return '';
>     } else if (commandObj.type == 'comment') {
>         if (commandObj.comment=='' )  return '';
>      }
>     return text;
> }
>
> I have been working on TestGen4web, but your work is very impressiv ! and
> with Selenium it is immediately usable.
>
> Did you follow the Selenium mailing list ? 2 things are annoying me : frame
> based runner and relying on more than a Firefox extensions (Web server,
> runner, driver ...)  The current state is OK for me, only the frameset is
> annoying.
>
> I would be happy to contribute to your work, feel free to contact me.
> Bruno

Re: little improvment

brunovern.a (Bugzilla)

On 12/1/05, Shinya Kasatani <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Bruno,

Thanks for the suggestion.
However I'd like to be careful to make a fix that truncates command
automatically, since it breaks symmetry of getSource() and setSource()
functions - if you call getSource() then setSource(), the empty
command would be truncated without noticing.
To avoid seeing Selenium error when playing, I think it might be
useful to show errors in the Editor view so that the user can notice
it - just like syntax error checking in IDEs like Eclipse.

But is it bad to loose empty commands ? I guess that you mean loosing the symmetry could introduce bugs ? Then maybe a "normalize()" function would do the trick ? The Editor allow to create many empty commands.   Anyway, it is just a detail.

> Did you follow the Selenium mailing list ? 2 things are annoying me : frame
> based runner and relying on more than a Firefox extensions (Web server,
> runner, driver ...)  The current state is OK for me, only the frameset is
> annoying.

I'm reading most of the messages in the Selenium mailing lists, but
why are you annoyed with framesets?

Because  the application I am testing use Frameset and Javascript. (I didn't do it.)

I'm planning to enable running tests in the Selenium IDE (currently
Selenium Recorder) window and that will eliminate frames. Does that
make sense?

Obviously, we should not change the environment of the Application Under Test ! Putting it in a frame or adding Javascript can change the AUT behavior.

I downloaded the source yesterday (SvnX) and send them by FTP at work (firewall) so I can work a bit on it. Hope I can do something usefull.

Thanks.
Bruno