remote testing

Andreu Alibés
Hi all,

I've realized that, despite what I've read in several places, I can test
remote websites with the Selenium extension for Firefox (version 0.7).

However, I cannot do it if I use it by installing selenium-0.6 and try
to run my tests from the command line ( firefox
http://localhost/selenium/TestRunner.html?test=mytests/index.html). It
does not open the URL:

nor

Is this difference due to the different versions? Can I run the firefox
extension from the command line?

I cannot install selenium on the server.

Thank you,

    Andreu

--
Andreu Alibés, PhD
Bioinformatics Unit

**NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD** Este correo electrónico, y en su caso los ficheros adjuntos, pueden contener información protegida para el uso exclusivo de su destinatario. Se prohíbe la distribución, reproducción o cualquier otro tipo de transmisión por parte de otra persona que no sea el destinatario. Si usted recibe por error este correo, se ruega comunicarlo al remitente y borrar el mensaje recibido.
**CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE** This email communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the designated recipient named above. Distribution, reproduction or any other use of this transmission by any party other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender and delete all copies.

Re: remote testing

Alexandre Garel

Andreu Alibés a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I've realized that, despite what I've read in several places, I can
> test remote websites with the Selenium extension for Firefox (version
> 0.7).
>
> However, I cannot do it if I use it by installing selenium-0.6 and try
> to run my tests from the command line ( firefox
> http://localhost/selenium/TestRunner.html?test=mytests/index.html). It
> does not open the URL:

> nor

> Is this difference due to the different versions?

No selenium IDE 0.7 uses Selenium 0.6
When you run selenium through the extension, you got sufficient
privilege to access all sites, when you run it with the testRunner.html
you does not have such privilege (cross-site scripting).

> Can I run the firefox extension from the command line?

Sorry I don't know, maybe, try posting on Selenium IDE forum

> I cannot install selenium on the server.

You think you would have to setup a reverse proxy to test your app from
standard selenium.
See
http://lists.public.thoughtworks.org/pipermail/selenium-users/2005-February/000115.html
Hope it helps
Alex.

Ce message est protégé par les règles relatives au secret des correspondances. Il est donc établi à destination exclusive de son destinataire. Celui-ci peut donc contenir des informations confidentielles. La divulgation de ces informations est à ce titre rigoureusement interdite. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, merci de le renvoyer à l'expéditeur dont l'adresse e-mail figure ci-dessus et de détruire le message ainsi que toute pièce jointe.

This message is protected by the secrecy of correspondence rules. Therefore, this message is intended solely for the attention of the addressee. This message may contain privileged or confidential information, as such the disclosure of these informations is strictly forbidden. If, by mistake, you have received this message, please return this message to the addressser whose e-mail address is written above and destroy this message and all files attached.

Re: remote testing

Andreu Alibés
Thanks.

I've managed to install twisted, selenium etc... following what I've
read in the forum.

And now something like this action works:
However, it stops there and doesn't test the following one:

Any idea what I am missing there? Thanks,

Alexandre Garel wrote:

> [...]
> above and destroy this message and all files attached.

**NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD** Este correo electrónico, y en su caso los ficheros adjuntos, pueden contener información protegida para el uso exclusivo de su destinatario. Se prohíbe la distribución, reproducción o cualquier otro tipo de transmisión por parte de otra persona que no sea el destinatario. Si usted recibe por error este correo, se ruega comunicarlo al remitente y borrar el mensaje recibido.
**CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE** This email communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the designated recipient named above. Distribution, reproduction or any other use of this transmission by any party other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender and delete all copies.

More info: I get the following error message in the log:

Unexpected Exception: 0 -> P, 1 -> e, 2 -> r, 3 -> m, 4 -> i, 5 -> s, 6
-> s, 7 -> i, 8 -> o, 9 -> n, 10 -> , 11 -> d, 12 -> e, 13 -> n, 14 ->
i, 15 -> e, 16 -> d, 17 -> , 18 -> t, 19 -> o, 20 -> , 21 -> s, 22 -> e,
23 -> t, 24 -> , 25 -> p, 26 -> r, 27 -> o, 28 -> p, 29 -> e, 30 -> r,
31 -> t, 32 -> y, 33 -> , 34 -> W, 35 -> i, 36 -> n, 37 -> d, 38 -> o,
39 -> w, 40 -> ., 41 -> a, 42 -> l, 43 -> e, 44 -> r, 45 -> t, parseCSV
-> function () { var values = this.replace(/\\,/g, "\n").split(","); for
(var i = 0; i < values.length; i++) { values[i] =
values[i].replace(/\n/g, ",").trim(); } return values; }, trim ->
function () { var result = this.replace(/^\s+/g, ""); return
result.replace(/\s+$/g, ""); }, lcfirst -> function () { return
this.charAt(0).toLowerCase() + this.substr(1); }, ucfirst -> function ()
{ return this.charAt(0).toUpperCase() + this.substr(1); }, startsWith ->
function (str) { return this.indexOf(str) == 0; }

Andreu Alibés a écrit :

> More info: I get the following error message in the log:
>
> Unexpected Exception: 0 -> P, 1 -> e, 2 -> r, 3 -> m, 4 -> i, 5 -> s,
> 6 -> s, 7 -> i, 8 -> o, 9 -> n, 10 -> , 11 -> d, 12 -> e, 13 -> n, 14
> -> i, 15 -> e, 16 -> d, 17 -> , 18 -> t, 19 -> o, 20 -> , 21 -> s, 22
> -> e, 23 -> t, 24 -> , 25 -> p, 26 -> r, 27 -> o, 28 -> p, 29 -> e, 30
> -> r, 31 -> t, 32 -> y, 33 -> , 34 -> W, 35 -> i, 36 -> n, 37 -> d, 38
> -> o, 39 -> w, 40 -> ., 41 -> a, 42 -> l, 43 -> e, 44 -> r, 45 -> t,
> parseCSV -> function () { var values = this.replace(/\\,/g,
> "\n").split(","); for (var i = 0; i < values.length; i++) { values[i]
> = values[i].replace(/\n/g, ",").trim(); } return values; }, trim ->
> function () { var result = this.replace(/^\s+/g, ""); return
> result.replace(/\s+$/g, ""); }, lcfirst -> function () { return
> this.charAt(0).toLowerCase() + this.substr(1); }, ucfirst -> function
> () { return this.charAt(0).toUpperCase() + this.substr(1); },
> startsWith -> function (str) { return this.indexOf(str) == 0; }

> Ola Fjelddahl a écrit :
>
>hejdig.
>
>The text reads "Permission denied to set property Window. alert" if that
>is any clue.
>Together with opening a window to a remote web site.

I don't know what was really done, but it seems to me as if you have the
permission to use window.open but not to use any other property (and at
selenium tries to override windows.alert in order to be able to have a
verifyAlert command). Did you try to use reverse proxy (setting a
server, then setting a proxy in your browser) or did you use something
like :
user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "trustable");
user_pref("capability.policy.trustable.sites", "http://localhost ");
user_pref("capability.policy.trustable.Window.open", "allAccess");
in which case I would rather try
user_pref("capability.policy.trustable.Window", "allAccess");
but I'm not sure it's sufficient, maybe using a reverse-proxy is more
workable.
[...]

Alexander, Ola,

I'm not testing the site from a code I've written.
I installed twisted and selenium and, for instance, I cannot run the
GoogleTestSuite.html that comes with the code. It opens www.google.com,
but the next line in the html (assertTitle) always fails with the same
error.

Thanks,

   Andreu

P.S. I run "firefox
http://localhost:8080/selenium-driver/TestRunner.html?test=tests/GoogleTestSuite.html
&"

Alexandre Garel wrote:

> [...]
> above and destroy this message and all files attached.

**NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD** Este correo electrónico, y en su caso los ficheros adjuntos, pueden contener información protegida para el uso exclusivo de su destinatario. Se prohíbe la distribución, reproducción o cualquier otro tipo de transmisión por parte de otra persona que no sea el destinatario. Si usted recibe por error este correo, se ruega comunicarlo al remitente y borrar el mensaje recibido.
**CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE** This email communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the designated recipient named above. Distribution, reproduction or any other use of this transmission by any party other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender and delete all copies.

You are hitting the cross site scripting limitation.

The mozilla plugin or IDE works fine because you are driving the website from the browser itself.  This is outside the cross site scripting limitation for this reason.

This is opposed to when running from selenium 0.6., where you have a frame from within the browser controlling the tests.  In this case, the frame doing the control is from localhost, while the frame being controlled is some other site.  Ergo, cross-site and selenium doesn't work.

Hope that explains things.

As mentioned by other replies, you need to work with some sort of proxy if you can't install selenium on the web server itself.

Best,
neo