running a single test using test runner

GW-5
Is there a way to run a single test (as opposed to going through the test suite page) using test runner.

For example http://localhost:8000/TestRunner.html?test=AllTests.php points to the test suite. During development its kinda painful to keep updating the test suite html to link to the new test in order to execute it.

Thanks,
Sanjiv

Re: running a single test using test runner

Jason R Huggins
Sanjiv Jivan <[hidden email]> wrote on 01/10/2006
04:05:57 PM:
> Is there a way to run a single test (as opposed to going through the
> test suite page) using test runner.

I don't think so. But patches are welcome. :-)

> For example http://localhost:8000/TestRunner.html?test=AllTests.php
> points to the test suite. During development its kinda painful to keep
> updating the test suite html to link to the new test in order to execute
it.

I've heard folks complain about/suggest this before, so there are more
than a few out there that would like to see this.

Cheers,
Jason

Re: running a single test using test runner

While not an answer to your question, your post reminded me of something similar that occurred to me an hour or so ago...

I am in the middle of developing tests at the moment, and it hit me while in TestRunner that it'd be very handy to have a way of typing tests in directly and having them evaluated real-time - interactively.

I suppose a way this could be used is to have a mode setting in TestRunner that opens a form with four text fields in it, arranged in a row. The first three for the Selenium test components, and the fourth as an optional comment. There'd be buttons for submit/execute, clear/cancel, reset/undo, exit (back to normal run mode), maybe others?

Once you've entered a test's command and parameters in the form fields, you submit/execute and the test (the command, really) runs immediately.  Then, if you've botched something up in the test, you simply edit and retry, without having to go thru an entire edit/run/import/deploy circuit. Essentially, this would be a way to create tests interactively. Ideally, the tests created this way could be retained in an html page that could be separately saved to disk for additional edits or as a live test.

Thoughts?

fjw

Re: running a single test using test runner

Mike Williams-7
Sanjiv Jivan wrote:

>  Is there a way to run a single test (as opposed to going through the
>  test suite page) using test runner.

Um, no ... not currently.

>  For example http://localhost:8000/TestRunner.html?test=AllTests.php
>  points to the test suite. During development its kinda painful to
>  keep updating the test suite html to link to the new test in order to
>  execute it.

How about dynamically generating your TestSuite?  e.g.

http://localhost:8000/TestRunner.html?test=generateSuite.php%3Ftest%3DSomeTest

which translates as a call to

    http://localhost:8000/generateSuite.php?test=SomeTest

--
cheers, MikeW                            http://www.dogbiscuit.org/mdub/

Re: running a single test using test runner

GW-5
> How about dynamically generating your TestSuite?

ah, thats a good idea. Thanks.

Re: running a single test using test runner

GW-5
I've created a jsp that generates the test suite dynamically allowing you to run an individual test. I'll create an issue and upload the patch.

Thanks for the idea Mike!

Sanjiv

Re: Re: running a single test using test runner

Jason R Huggins
I really like this idea... it kind of adds the equivalent of Ruby and
Python's interactive consoles to Selenium.... Although in theory, I think
this is how the Selenium IDE plug-in for Firefox works. For lots of
reasons, I like the plug-in approach better, because that solves alot of
headaches with JavaScript security. Although, I also like the "simpler"
approach of just modifying the TestRunner with a simple form.

-Jason

fj <[hidden email]> wrote on 01/10/2006 04:35:55 PM:

> While not an answer to your question, your post reminded me of
> something similar that occurred to me an hour or so ago...
>
> I am in the middle of developing tests at the moment, and it hit me
> while in TestRunner that it'd be very handy to have a way of typing
> tests in directly and having them evaluated real-time - interactively.
>
> I suppose a way this could be used is to have a mode setting in
> TestRunner that opens a form with four text fields in it, arranged in
> a row. The first three for the Selenium test components, and the
> fourth as an optional comment. There'd be buttons for submit/execute,
> clear/cancel, reset/undo, exit (back to normal run mode), maybe others?
>
> Once you've entered a test's command and parameters in the form
> fields, you submit/execute and the test (the command, really) runs
> immediately.  Then, if you've botched something up in the test, you
> simply edit and retry, without having to go thru an entire
> edit/run/import/deploy circuit. Essentially, this would be a way to
> create tests interactively. Ideally, the tests created this way could
> be retained in an html page that could be separately saved to disk for
> additional edits or as a live test.
>
> Thoughts?

Re: Re: running a single test using test runner

chrs_mcmhn
On 1/13/06, Jason R Huggins <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I really like this idea... it kind of adds the equivalent of Ruby and
> Python's interactive consoles to Selenium....

Just as a side-note.  The Watir code provides a number of
"exploratory" methods explicitly intended for use with Ruby's IRB.
Methods like show_frames and show_all_links help testers quickly
identify interesting elements on the page.

-Chris