selenium recorder and AJAX

Sanjiv Jivan
Hi,
I started using Selenium Recorder and think its really neat. My application is AJAX based and new content is updated by DOM manipulation by setting elem.innerHTML = "..". Unfortunately the recorder stops recording events of user action on content that is set via elem.innerHTML.

It would be great it the recorder supported AJAX based apps.

Thanks,
Sanjiv

Fwd: selenium recorder and AJAX

Sanjiv Jivan
You can reproduce the issue by trying to record the interactions on this demo page :

http://ajaxanywhere.sweetdev-labs.org:8080/ajaxAnywhereDemo-1.0.1/facesFrame.jsp

The left frame uses traditional request/response with the whole page reloading. The right frame uses ajax based request/response with selective rerendering.

Sanjiv

Re: Fwd: selenium recorder and AJAX

Shinya Kasatani
Hi Sanjiv,

Thanks for your report.
Selenium Recorder doesn't record elements modified by innerHTML,
because it calls addEventListener on each input and link elements when
the document is loaded.
In the latest version of Selenium IDE from svn, I've fixed it to call
addEventListener on each documents instead of elements, so they should
be recorded. You can find build instructions in OpenQA wiki.

Regards,
Shinya

On 24/12/05, Sanjiv Jivan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can reproduce the issue by trying to record the interactions on this
> demo page :
>
> http://ajaxanywhere.sweetdev-labs.org:8080/ajaxAnywhereDemo-1.0.1/facesFrame.jsp
>
>  The left frame uses traditional request/response with the whole page
> reloading. The right frame uses ajax based request/response with selective
> rerendering.
>
>  Sanjiv

Thanks for your response.

On 12/25/05, Shinya Kasatani <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Sanjiv,

Thanks for your report.
Selenium Recorder doesn't record elements modified by innerHTML,
because it calls addEventListener on each input and link elements when
the document is loaded.

I kinda figured that was the case because after dynamic content was loaded, when I unchecked and checked the recording option, recording resumed to work.

In the latest version of Selenium IDE from svn, I've fixed it to call
addEventListener on each documents instead of elements, so they should
be recorded. You can find build instructions in OpenQA wiki.

Great. I'll check it out. btw do you have any plans to work on a similar recorder for IE as a plugin? Something like the one from iopus : http://www.iopus.com/iim/  This will certainly expand your audience.

Thanks,
Sanjiv

On 24/12/05, Sanjiv Jivan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can reproduce the issue by trying to record the interactions on this
> demo page :
>
> http://ajaxanywhere.sweetdev-labs.org:8080/ajaxAnywhereDemo-1.0.1/facesFrame.jsp
>
>  The left frame uses traditional request/response with the whole page
> reloading. The right frame uses ajax based request/response with selective
> rerendering.
>
>  Sanjiv

That's right in Selenium Recorder, and in Selenium IDE you won't have
to uncheck and check the option.

>  Great. I'll check it out. btw do you have any plans to work on a similar
> recorder for IE as a plugin? Something like the one from iopus :
> http://www.iopus.com/iim/  This will certainly expand your audience.

No. Selenium itself is cross-browser, so I think it would be fine to
edit tests using Selenium IDE on Firefox and run tests on IE.
I believe IE plugin might be useful for users using only IE, and I
won't stop anybody porting Selenium IDE to IE, but I'd rather
concentrate on Firefox extension which is cross-platform. And anyways
I'm using Mac OS X most of the time :)

Regards,
Shinya