what is the difference between webdriver click() and actually clicking with mouse

what is the difference between webdriver click() and actually clicking with mouse

Allen Ashe
My developers have upgraded to use Vaadin 8.0 and now a number of tests that were working with Vaadin 7 are having "problems".

One example of this is with a Select list.  They did change it from a single select to a multi-select list.
If using the mouse you need to held down CTRL or SHIFt to select multiple items.
But when I use the Select.selectByValue(value) it does a multi-select as if I was holding down the CTL key.
Looking at the code in the selectByValue() method it actually performs a click() method.

I also have some buttons and some checkboxes where I click() on them and then when the page refreshes it acts like the click never happened.

It this on all of the browsers I've test on: Chrome, IE, Firefox, and Edge.

I'm suspecting the Vaadin 8 controls are expecting some event that the Vaadin 7 ones did not.

So, what is the difference between a webdriver click() and an actual mouse click?